Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Understanding Hirsch

Joplin-Missouri-Tornado-Video.jpg
As I read the reading from Hirsch, I found it a little difficult to find an experience that has happened to me like the one she describes in her reading. The worst natural disaster that has occurred is that the Delaware River overflowed and ruined many houses close to and far as well from the River. Hirsch argues that photographs are problematic and I believe she states this because pictures taken of natural disasters cause a sense of discomfort and when we see them, we feel bad for the people affected by it. She also describes this concept of postmemory, which is looking at photos and automatically thinking of something similar to that, but it is not exactly initiated with yourself. With this, I then thought of tornadoes and earthquakes. There have been many tornadoes and earthquakes mainly in the midwest, but recently there was a earthquake in Philadelphia, about 40 minutes away from me. It was not severe, but it had me thinking, that this could happen to anyone. This is where the postmemory kicked in. The picture is of a tornado from Missouri that just occurred recently. It automatically made me think of the earthquake/tornado near me that happened and how it could have been actually severe. It didn't actually happen to me, but since it was so close, I feel like it almost did. This just shows the power that pictures have on peoples minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment