Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Projected Memory



In this past reading Hirsch discusses the relationship we have to the suffering of others via photographs. I found this writing very interesting and could not help but think of the people of Japan after reading Hirsch. How she describes the way we feel towards others we do not even know is extremely accurate and had me thinking. At first I didn't think I felt this way until I went online to find some of the devastating picture from the earthquake in Japan. Once I searched for pictures things such as the picture here appeared. Just seeing the destruction from the earthquake made me instantly feel sick. We take so much for granted every day without realizing how lucky we are. Then as the search continued I began to come across pictures of children and families. This is when I realized that Hirsch was spot on with what she had said in her writing. Seeing pictures of children, helpless and without a home made me instantly feel for as i imaged myself in that situation as a child or seeing my little brother in those circumstances. These images can not help but have us create a connection in one way or another. However, this natural destruction made me make a connection with Hirsch's writing and we can see through these images how powerful pictures and images can be in everyday life.



1 comment:

  1. Nice blog. When I first read the essay by Hirsch, I didn't think it mattered if photographs with children made a difference with our emotions. I stand corrected. Seeing photographs with children in horrible situations does affect how I view the event and feel about it.

    ReplyDelete