Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Hmaun Mnid: Azamnig or Diecvnieg?

I received an email with this mind game in it and thought of it when I was reading about how our minds can deceive us and how we construct much of what we "see" with our own mind. For example:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

I was shocked that I was actually able to decipher the paragraph. This shows how our minds "have a mind of their own" for lack of a better cliche. The brain decides what we are going to remember and what we are going to see. This can be a scary thought because we may begin to wonder if our own brains are tricking us and what the world really looks like? Is there an objective way to see objects or is it all dependent on how our mind perceives the object at hand?

6 comments:

  1. This was so weird when I was reading it. Literally, I knew every word and never had to second guess. It is a good relation to the objects we see in our world. What is the correct way to look at an object and figure out what it is? Is there a correct way? This was a great example of how complicated our brains really are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received this a while ago and I am as amazed now as I was the first time I read it. It is amazing that our brain works that way! It also reminds me of how we do not really 'see'. As we read the most basic thing that we are supposed to be doing is seeing the text but we are not actually doing that are we? If we would be seeing attentively everything we would see that everything is misspelled and have a hard time reading it.
    This reminds me of the other post about driving while being day dreaming, because this is another situation in which we are supposed to be paying attention and seeing and we are not really doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh this is awesome, I remember finding this a while back. It is so cool and shows how little our brain needs to actually "see" or understand in order to interpret or figure out the meaning of something

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing this a few years ago and could not believe it at first. It's so weird to think that our minds can decipher jumbled letters like that but I guess we are just so used to words that our mind is unfazed when we read them. Our minds have "seen" these things so often that we hardly have to process them to understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I didn't actually realize the words were spelled wrong until I got to the second line. I have seen similar examples posted as facebook status's and I was marveled at the reality of what my brain was doing. A skill I have (or so I've been told) is that I can "scan" read very well. By this I mean that I can look at a page or a paragraph and almost immediately find the word I'm searching for by scanning the text for the basic shape of the word, specifically the first and last letters. I believe this 'skill' is directly related to what you talked about in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your heading and I knew exactly what you were going to talk about. I have see this before and I love things that show how you can trick your brain. It is so weird how the mind works and how we see. Great post.

    ReplyDelete