Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Elkins - Chapter Two

Quite frankly, Chapter two of our assigned reading has both freaked me out and intrigued me at the same time. “And for that matter, can I be sure nothing else is watching me?” This is the sentence that really had me thinking. As we look at objects, they certainly cannot be looking back at us – can they?

But, how do we really know? When we look at an object, isn't it looking back?

Elkins goes on to say the world is full of vision, full of eyes. I would agree with that. Vision is everywhere.I have found myself looking at everyday household objects differently since reading this chapter.

In addition, Elkins believes the world is full of things we do not see. After completing my first video this week, I agree with this statement. We pass by so many beautiful things everyday and don’t even realize it.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Nowadays, everyone's life seems to be so crazy that we do miss the beautiful aspects of life. I also agree with you when you said everything is staring back. When Elkins was talking about the eyes of a building, it kind of creeped me out thinking that everyone window was an eye and could see me until I passed by the next building. Overall, I just totally agree that it is sort of creepy when deeply thought about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For as much as I was interested and intrigued by what Elkins had to say in the 3 chapters we read, I was most put off by the lengthiness of his chapter regarding inanimate objects and their "sight." Perhaps I cannot wrap my head around his point or maybe I take it too literally. I feel that Elkins became very redundant in this section to the point where I felt it was painful to keep reading. Call me crazy but does anyone else agree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freaked you out, it freaked me out too. I never knew that someone could even analyze the way we see to actually make a book out of it. I am glad Elkins did, so now we can all understand.

    ReplyDelete