Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Image Acts

Of the many great essays and articles we were assigned for this course, the one that I found most interesting is Image Acts. Many articles assigned reviewed different aspects of photographs, but Bakewell's (or is it Blakewell -- I saw it written both ways) theory really grabbed me.

How many photographs have we viewed in our lives? Hundreds, if not more. I am now looking at photographs in a different perspective. Have they had a purpose all along and I am now noticing?

I agree with her viewpoint that images are very important to the evolution of language. We view images in books and on tv before we learn to talk. Images can possibly be responsible in helping us to talk.

I like how she points out that images are powerful tools that have a purpose. They can change our emotion, anger us, and even reveal things about us.

Image acts have a purpose and a reason.

1 comment:

  1. I like your speculation of images helping us learn language. Being exposed to tv and images at such an early age in development must affect the way we learn. Perhaps it makes the association of a word with an object that much easier. Good post!

    ReplyDelete